Lots of homeowners are throwing their hat into the ring. Here is my guide to listing your home to help make sure you leave a lasting impression with potential buyers.
1) Put out the welcome mat. Literally. Buy a new mat for your front door. It’s not expensive and its a small detail that really counts.
2) Make sure all windows are clean but pay special attention to any window that gives views to the yard.
3) Create a pleasing aroma. Make sure it’s a fresh and clean scent. However candles should NEVER be left burning for a showing. There are other alternatives to candles. I’m a fan of the scented oils with reed diffusers.
4) If it requires an explanation – it requires your immediate attention. I cannot count the number of times I’ve shown a home and the seller has little notes explaining broken items or carpet that needs replacing. Perhaps it would be best to get these items taken care of BEFORE you list.
5) Please put pets in cages whenever possible. This is a tough one. Not everyone is a fan of pets. Many people are terrified of cats. Also it can be unsettling to show a home and not be aware there are animals until you are already in the kitchen. Make sure the listing agent makes everyone aware of a pet when the appointment is scheduled.
6) Let the showing agent do their job. This is a broad topic but I will mention of couple of things you do not want to do. Don’t leave all the lights on for a showing. What if the showing is cancelled and you’re gone all day at work?
7) It is always ideal to give the buyer and their agent some space during the showing. It may not always require you leaving the area but perhaps going for a short walk or to the neighbors for a few minutes would work.
Your being in the home may restrict their ability to focus on the amenities you have to offer. The buyer may not feel free to talk to their agent for fear of offending you. You do not want them to feel rushed.
The time to list is now!
Do you have any real estate questions? Leave a comment below!