We’ve all had those moments in the kitchen where the baking process goes awry, which can be a stressful experience. The reason why I love “Better Your Bake” is because it’s all about reaching Zen in the kitchen. Once you master the basics, you can find bliss in the kitchen.
For Nielsen-Massey’s #BetterYourBake campaign, I wanted to focus on tips for how to separate egg whites
and how to brown butter
. So, I created one of my favorite go-to desserts but amped it up with an elegant twist by adding brown butter and a vanilla meringue topping.
My recipe for Brown Butter Nectarine Plum Galette with Vanilla Meringue Topping is made from scratch from the crust to the meringue, making this a very special and elegant dessert. I used Nielsen-Massey’s Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract which has a delicate, fruity flavor that pairs well with the fruits used in this recipe.
With a few simple techniques, you can make this dish at home for your family and friends! Here are a few must-know pro tips to help you on your journey:
Separating eggs whites from yolk
• It’s easiest to separate egg whites from the yolk if your egg is fresh from the fridge
• Don’t use the shell to separate! This may cause bacteria contamination. Instead, use your hands and let the egg whites gently slide through your fingers
• To check if the butter is browned to your liking, spoon a little of the butter onto a white plate and check for brown flecks
• Brown butter reduces in volume by 20-25% as water content evaporates. Add a bit more butter to the pot than you think you need just in case!
Now, onto the recipe !
Everyday Butter Pastry Crust
1. Add flour, butter, brown sugar and salt in food processor and mix until it looks like a coarse meal. You should still see some bits of butter.
2. Pour cold water and Nielsen-Massey Tahitian Pure Vanilla Extract over flour mixture. Toss together with a fork until mixture comes together to form a dough. Work together with your hands as little as possible.
3. Divide dough in half and flatten into 2 rounds. You can freeze the other round for later use!
4. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge for about 15-20 minutes to rest.
5. Roll the dough into a 12- inch circle and place it on a parchment- lined cookie sheet.
Nectarine & Plum Galette Filling:
1. In a medium-sized bowl, Toss the fruits with cornstarch and salt .
2. Pile the fruit mixture in the center of the dough and bring the edges of the dough up over the fruit, overlapping and folding the pastry to form about a 2 1/2-inch edge crust.
3. Brush the crust with more brown butter.
4. Sprinkle crust with sugar.
5. Bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the fruit is bubbling at the center.
6. Let cool before cutting.
1. Place all the ingredients in a mixer.
2. Mix on medium and gradually to high.
3. When the meringue starts to form, stop the mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl.
4. Continue mixing until meringue forms stiff peaks.