Learn How To Make Pretzels With These Tips
This is a shared recipe for mommacuisine.com and not an original Momma Cuisine recipe.
Need a snack on game night?
Pretzel bites are always a winner, especially with a jalapeno cream cheese tip. If you make the rolls a little bigger, you can even use them as burger buns or sliders. You could even make a German potato pancake and create a snack buffet.
Soft Pretzel Bites
You need the following ingredients for this recipe:
- 3 cups of water warmed up to 110F
- One package of active dry yeast measuring 1 1/4 teaspoons
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cups of bread flour
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 6 cups of normal-temperature water
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons of melted and separated butter
- 6 tablespoons of baking soda
And of course pretzel salt!
1) Dissolve your sugar in the warmed-up water. Next, sprinkle your yeast over that water, before letting it sit so it can foam up for about 5 minutes. Get the mixing bowl from your stand mixer, and inside of it, combine the bread flour, salt, all-purpose flour, and 2 tablespoons of your melted butter. Pour your yeast water into this bowl. Use your dough hook attachment to mix on a low setting between 5 and 6 minutes. Pull the dough away from all sides of your mixing bowl. Place your dough in a bowl that is oiled. Cover it, and let it rise for either a full hour or just until it has doubled up in its size.
2) Fill up a big pot with 6 tablespoons of baking soda and 6 cups of water. Stir it to dissolve. Get the water up to a low boil. While the water is heating up, divide your dough into small balls of equal sizes.
3) Preheat your smoker to 375F. Work in batches, and put the balls into the boiling water for 1 minute per piece. Flip them halfway through the cooking. Using a slotted spoon, remove them out of the water. Drain away as much of the moisture as you can when doing so. Put them all on a baking sheet that you have lined with parchment paper. Allow them to rest for a quarter of an hour.
4) Brush your pretzel tops with the rest of the melted butter before sprinkling on your sea salt. Bake them at 375F between 20 to 25 minutes, or until their tops turn golden brown. Serve them up with jalapeno cream cheese dip or your topping of choice.