Vegan Chicken Nugget Recipe
Chicken nuggets are a guaranteed crowd-pleaser for kids and adults of all ages! The tasty chicken interior wrapped in golden brown breadcrumbs and served in bite-sized pieces (preferably with fries) is a tasty treat that nobody ever grows out of!
But once you’ve made the decision to switch to a vegan lifestyle (or perhaps you’re just trying to eat less meat and dairy), it can be tough to forget about your childhood favorites.
That’s why we’ve created this foolproof vegan chicken nugget recipe!
Using that favorite vegan ingredient – tofu – we’re going to show you how you can enjoy a more planet-friendly lifestyle without having to sacrifice delicious flavors and dinners. Try out a few more easy and vegan-friendly chicken recipes.
If you never get too old for a good old chicken nugget, you shouldn’t have to lose out just because you’re making better choices (and your kids won’t even notice the difference)!
Vegan Chicken Nugget Recipe
Inspired by KFC, we think these vegan chicken nuggets are even better than the real deal! Crispy on the outside, succulent and tender on the inside, perfectly flavored, and surprisingly easy to make, this recipe will become an instant family favorite!
· 1 block extra-firm tofu
· Oil spray
· ½ cup all-purpose flour
· ½ plain unsweetened plant milk (we think soy milk works best, but you could also use almond milk or whatever other vegan plant-based milk you have at home)
· ½ tbsp sesame oil (toasted is best, but regular sesame oil works just fine)
· ½ tsp salt
· 2 tsp yellow mustard
· ½ tsp poultry seasoning
· 3 cups corn flakes, crushed (you could also whiz them up in a food processor, just be sure to leave a few larger pieces for that extra crunch!)
· 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
· 1 tsp salt
· 1 tsp granulated onion
· ½ tsp granulated garlic
· ½ tsp dried oregano
· ½ tsp dried basil
· ½ tsp chili powder
· ¼ tsp black pepper
1. Slice your tofu lengthwise into 3 evenly sized pieces and remove the excess water using a tofu press or DIY tofu pressing method.
2. Preheat oven to 400’F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Combine the wet ingredients to create a thick batter.
4. Mix together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl. This will make the crispy coating for your nuggets.
5. Cut each slice of pressed tofu into 6 evenly sized pieces.
6. Select 1 tofu piece and dip it into the wet batter, ensuring it’s fully coated.
7. Transfer the wet tofu piece to the bowl of dry ingredients and toss to ensure a thick and even coating.
8. Place the tofu piece on the parchment paper and repeat with the other tofu pieces until they’ve all been coated with the batter and crispy seasoning.
9. Spray the tops of the nuggets lightly with cooking spray, then flip them over and spray the reverse.
10. Bake your tofu nuggets for approximately 30 minutes or until golden brown, flipping halfway through.
11. Serve with your favorite chicken nugget sides and plenty of ketchup!
Are these vegan chicken nuggets gluten-free?
These vegan chicken nuggets are not currently gluten-free as we’re using standard all-purpose flour in the batter. That said, if you need a gluten-free vegan chicken nugget recipe, this one can easily be adapted by switching the flour.
We’d recommend ‘Bob’s
Mill’ or ‘Robin Hood’ brands for gluten-free flour alternatives, or you could use rice flour for
delicious nuggets that are vegan and gluten-free.
Serving vegan chicken nuggets
When it comes to serving chicken nuggets, we firmly believe the kids are all right!
Is there anything tastier or more comforting than hot, crispy, delicious nuggets served with fries or potato wedges and lashings of ketchup, BBQ sauce, and ranch dressing?
These vegan chicken nuggets also pair well with a sweet chili sauce, or you could be really creative and try a maple mustard sauce for a sweet and sour flavor sensation!
Hummus is also an excellent dip for delicious vegan chicken nuggets with a grown-up twist. Or you could pretend to be really civilized by adding your freshly baked vegan nuggets to a Caesar salad that’s guaranteed not to disappoint.
However you serve up your vegan chicken nuggets, we’re confident that everyone will love these tasty treats.
You’ll wish you had doubled the recipe!